Do you dream of owning your own farm in Texas but don't know exactly where to start?
While farming can be an extremely rewarding endeavor, it takes a lot of hard work and know-how to be successful. Follow the tips listed in this article to turn your dreams of being a Texas farmer into a reality:
1. Ask yourself the hard questions - Before buying a farm, make sure it's the right decision for you. This is especially important if you don't have any prior farming or agriculture experience.
- Why do you want to own TX farmland?
- Are you ready for the responsibility?
- Are you willing to learn new skills?
- Do you have the time and patience to start a farm?
- Do you have enough money to start?
2. Decide what type of farming you'll do – Typically, farming is divided into two categories: crop and livestock. If you want to be a crop farmer, you'll grow things like grains, fruit orchards, berries, grapes, vegetables, hay or silage.
Livestock farming includes raising cattle for beef or dairy, hogs, horses, poultry, goats or sheep. There is also the third option of organic farming, an agriculture specialty that includes both crop and livestock production.
3. Know what to expect – Farming isn't easy. Depending on the type of farming you choose, be prepared to perform the following list of responsibilities:
- Clean barns and stalls regularly
- Feed and milk livestock
- Operate heavy machinery like a skid steer, tractor, and combine.
- Tame unruly and/or wild animals
- Apply pesticides
- Climb ladders and grain bins
- Slaughter and butcher livestock
- Maintain land and machinery
4. Get some experience – If you lack experience, learn the fundamentals of farming by offering your services to a TX farmland owner. Visit the Center of Rural Affairs to get connected with an experienced farmer who is willing to show a new farmer the ropes. You will find several different opportunities here, but concentrate on getting experience on the type of farm you dream of owning one day.
5. Buy farmland – Every farmer needs an affordable piece of land to farm on. Texas Ranch Deals offers easy financing with no-qualifying, owner-financed tracts of TX farmland ranging from 20 to 100 acres in west Texas. The beautiful landscape along with a rich tradition of farming makes Texas Ranch Deals the perfect place to build the farm of your dreams.